Now being published as a novel. Click the picture to find out more:

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Fist Fights

Fist fights were a favorite pastime while growing up. I perfected the art with my brothers under safe, controlled environment. Predictably, I would excel versus my younger brother but was easily thulped by the big brother. I was comfortable with this arrangement because I was able to beat up somebody at least half the time. Around this time, my brothers discovered the art of forging alliances and pretty soon I was being beaten up almost all the time. Thankfully, my elder brother was sent off somewhere far off. I told myself that justice does prevail.

This also gave me a free hand. I leveraged it to the hilt in creating my own reign of terror. It helped that I reached my teens before the terrorized. Being bigger, I got away from quite a few chores. Let’s just say that I had to relearn later how to polish my shoes.

Unfortunately, however, this golden era lasted only a couple of years. While I was in a hurry to get to my teens, my brother took his time about it but when he did get there, he suddenly outgrew me. This prompted me to briefly patronize a theory that I was an orphan left at my parents’ doorsteps just like in some of those western movies revolving around deeply troubled and conflicted heroes. I indulged in this theory largely because it filled me with a sense of grave manly self-respect, even if unfounded. However, after a lengthy but thoroughly useless investigative work and for lack of believers, I was eventually forced to discard this line of thought.

Thereafter, I managed to divert the sibling rivalry towards other pursuits where I was able to stamp my authority. Fist fights, however, continued to be the last frontier. But my brothers had outgrown the concept.

Still, I sought to be thrilled elsewhere even if without much luck. In one such case, after a swollen upper lip, bruised neck, and a stomach that remained moody for a week due to many a kick attempted at it, I decided to finally grow up.

Alas, there won’t be any fist fights. Not for me. Not any more. Only nostalgia.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope childhood insecurities are not screwing your adulthood :)... besides sibling rivalry fades with time, distance and maturity...and stamping authority is not a very good idea either... get over it dude...besides now would realy like to know....how old are you... still caught in time...eh???

Annoymously said...

Good insight into the boys' club :)

Must admit, I too have gotten into crazy, tear each other's hair out fights with my younger bro when we were kids. Only on rare occasions though, thankfully.

Now, I still want to beat him up at times, but curb my unladylike instincts.

Anonymous said...

too good...its good to look back at the past. and i also agree that the sibling rivalry still exists...its just that the enthu to beat up doesnt persist so often :)

keep writing!